Want to be the ChibiKara Idol of Sakura-Con 2013?!
Sakura-Con's 2013 ChibiKara Contest is a children's karaoke idol contest. You must have a badge to attend Sakura-Con on Saturday to participate in this contest.
Please read the all of the rules carefully before signing up as they have changed significantly.
Sign ups available 15 minutes prior to the event, in the Karaoke Room.
1. Rules & General Information
3. Song Selections and Format
5. Contest Categories & Awards
6. Karaoke Code of Conduct & Behavior
1. Rules & General Information
Who wants to be Sakura-Con's ChibiKara Idol? This is a one-part contest with the entire competition taking place Saturday morning.
This competition will have room for 20 acts to compete.
Sign-ups for Sakura-Con's ChibiKara Idol will be on a first-come-first-serve basis for those who attend the event.
A karaoke performer may only appear on stage once in allowance for an opportunity for more variety of performers.
You must specify the songs you are going to sing when you sign up for the contest. You may change your songs freely up until you check in for the contest, but you must specify something when you sign up. Once you have checked in at the convention and handed over your music, you are committed to your song selection. See the song section regarding types of songs allowed for the contest.
Once the contest starts, the MC will only call the names of those who have checked in. For check-in, you will need your Sakura-Con badge and the music you will be using in the contest, which must be on a CD, an MP3 player (iPod, Zune, etc.), or in our music library.
The use of backup dancers in the karaoke contest is not permitted. Special effects and use of stage props must be approved by the Karaoke Coordinator and are by prior arrangement only.
The contest is open to all registered convention members/attendees ages 12 and under. You must have a valid Sakura-Con Membership/Attendee badge to attend the convention on Saturday. There is no additional cost to register for the contest.
Group performances are encouraged to sign up for the contest but are limited to 3 members due to stage size and availability of microphones. A person can sign up as a solo act or a group act, but not both. This allows for a wider variety of performers and gives others a chance to participate.
Sakura-Con Staff and Crew, Guests of Honor, and Industry members are not eligible to win prizes in the contest, however, are allowed to perform.
3. Song Selections and Format
Songs must be from the following categories: Anime, Video game, Japanese Drama or Soap themes, J-pop, J-rock, J-rap, J-R&B, or Japanese folk.
English or other non-Japanese songs from the dubbed version of an anime series or video game are acceptable. (For example, the German theme to Sailor Moon, or songs from Robotech).
As this is a contest for an anime convention, your song must be from one of the categories mentioned above. For purposes of this rule, image songs (songs which aren't necessarily used in the anime, but are on the soundtrack) are okay. Songs from the live-action version of an anime (for example, the live action Sailor Moon) are also acceptable for purposes of fulfilling this requirement.
One song is needed to participate in this contest, but the performance can be no longer than 2 minutes (ex: only sing to end of first chorus). Songs longer than specified will be faded out when the limit is reached.
Contestants may sing a cappella style.
NO LIP-SYNCING! If it is determined that you are lip-syncing, then you will be disqualified from the contest.
Singing with a lyric sheet is ok.
Contestants will be assigned a numerical score from 1-5 by each judge based on vocal/singing performance, showmanship/presentation and stage appeal. The scores from each judge are then tallied to come up with a total score for the contestant. The winners will be determined by the total sum of their scores and how their performance appealed to the judges. Judges will make the final decision on winners in case of a tie.
All decisions made by the judges are final.
5. Contest Categories and Awards
A surprise award will be presented to the winner at the end of the event.
As a family oriented convention for anime fans of all ages, Sakura-Con has certain standards of behavior which all convention attendees should abide by at all times. For more information, please refer to the convention's Policies, Rules of Conduct for the Sakura-Con Convention Period.
The following rules are in addition to the Sakura-Con code of conduct that applies to all attendees:
- All aspects of the act, including, but not limited to: costume, conduct on stage, and song lyrics, are to abide by no worse than a "PG-13" standard. If you're in doubt as to whether something is suitable, just ask yourself, "Would you do this in front of your mother?" If you're still in doubt, please email or post and tell us what you have in mind, and we'll work something out.
- If any violations of this policy occur, Karaoke staff reserves the right to disqualify offenders from the contest or terminate the act in mid-song. In extreme cases, offenders may also be subject to convention penalties including loss of badge and removal from the convention.
- During the contest, no interaction with the MC is allowed. Contestants may not touch or approach the judges' table. Contestants may not go into the audience or use an audience member in their act. Actions that encourage general audience participation as a whole (such as asking the crowd to clap) are okay.
- The only persons allowed in the performing area are the MC, Sakura-Con staff and guests, judges, and contestants. Friends, relatives, fans, mascots, managers, agents, and any other persons or beings not actually performing in the contest are not allowed on stage.
DECISIONS MADE BY THE KARAOKE COORDINATOR OR DIRECTOR OF PROGAMMING ARE FINAL AND NOT NEGOTIABLE.
All rules for the Sakura-Con Karaoke Contest are subject to change without notice. While we attempt to keep you up to date of any changes via the Sakura-Con website, these changes may occur at any time.
For ALL questions, suggestions, issues and/or requests for confirmation regarding the Sakura-Con 2013 Karaoke Contest, please contact the Karaoke Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest, we look forward in another great show.
2 days, 19 hours, 42 minutes, 19 seconds until the Party Starts!
Disclaimer | Unless otherwise noted, all content copyright ANCEA/Sakura-Con, a 501(c)(3) organization.